Safety – always such an important topic that should never be overlooked. Any time you work with any type of machine, you will need to mae sure you take the proper precautions associated with it. First and foremost, you do not want to get hurt. Second, you do not want to damage the parts of the machine itself. Please view the list of computer safety rules below that you should follow in order to stay safe and keep your computer running well. Also, this is not an all-inclusive list. It is for information purposes only. Only attempt any work on your computer at your own risk.
Computer Safety Rules
- Unplug everything from their electrical outlets, including the monitor and tower. Detach all devices from the tower as well. Press the on/off button on the tower to discharge any stored electricity.
- When working on your computer, place it on an anti-static mat made out of rubber.
- Wear an anti-static wrist strap connected to a metal area of the computer case. This protects components from your own static electricity as well.
- Only use tools, such as screwdrivers, that are de-magnetized so that they do not interfere with the computer's circuitry.
- Of course, keep any liquids away from your computer.
- When touching components to install or uninstall, try to only touch the edges and not the surface or metal connectors to avoid premature component failures.
- Do not ever attempt to open or work on the power supply. This is the one component that has a much easier time frying you than you frying it. If you have a problem with your power supply, either get rid of it or have a professional repair it.
As previously mentioned, this computer safety rules list does not include all precautions that should be taken when working with computers. But please take these warnings into consideration as well as other precautions. Never downplay safety when learning computer hardware basics.